We made it to Jenny & Herb’s house in Tuscaloosa yesterday morning and had a chilled-out Labor Day. Their kids Marlon and Leroy seem to love Persephone, especially Leroy (4), who regaled us with many tales of, “When I was a baby.” We had a nice tour of the downtown area and campus.
No cable TV here, but I kept apprised of Gustav via internet. (Twitter has been invaluable. If only we’d had that service during Katrina.) The good news is New Orleans seems to have been spared catastrophic damage. A full assessment should come to light today. Some other areas of Louisiana seem to have fared worse, but I’m still not sure which places took the worst hits.
The bad news is we can’t go straight back home. They’re not allowing people back in to the city today (Tuesday). Maybe tomorrow (Wednesday). But we probably lost power, and I don’t think it makes sense for us to go back until power is restored, and I have no idea how long that might take. Given the lack of severe damage, people will be pissed if they’re not allowed back soon. In fact it could discourage evacuations for future storms (like Ike, maybe).
We are eager to return and check on our property. Is our roof intact? Did anyone break in to our house? We likely need to clean out our fridge and freezer. But we’ll wait until we get the official all-clear. No sneaking in like Michael and I did last time.
Xy got a call last night saying that unless she heard otherwise, school would be back in session Wednesday. I don’t think so!
PS: Official estimates are that two million of us evacuated for Gustav.
Update: Michael reports our porch light is on. So we have power, though most of the city does not. Wonder if we ever lost it? Xy’s frozen breast milk stockpile may be safe. Here’s hoping. Pretty happy about this news.